[RBB]: m. Anne Hanson 
[BBB]: Generally known as Theo. b in Calcutta 26 May 1805. Educ at Bury St Edmunds Grammar Sch. Cadet Addiscombe Military Seminary, 1819-20, passing with distinction into the Engrs. Ensign, Bengal Engrs, 19 Dec 1820. After a year's trg at the Engr Depot Chatham, went to India in 1822. There he was employed principally under the PWD, which would not release him when required for active service, and he consequently saw none in the whole of his military career. In 1826 he became Garrison Engr at Agra where he built the cantonment church, the gaol, the college and the European Barracks; repaired the Taj Mahal and other historic buildings in Agra and district. 1834-37, he was engaged in constructing an iron bridge over the East Kala Nuddee River at Khodagunj, nr Fategarh, and on completion of this work he went on furlough with his family to England
In 1839 the Court of Directors established observatories at Simla, Madras and Singapore, Theo being put in charge of that at Simla. After some instruction in the use of the instruments to be provided, he was charged with the preparation of all the books and forms reqd to record the observations. On 10 Jan 1840 he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society, and on 5 Mar a Fellow of the Royal Society. In 1847 he was appointed Superintending Engr PWD NW Prov, with HQ at Ambala for next 7 years. Promoted Lt Col in 1846, and appt Ch Engr NW Prov in 1854 with HQ at Agra. In 1855 succeeded to comd of the Corps of Bengal Engrs, as Col. Retd in Feb 1857 as Hon Maj-Gen.
He was m at Agra in the church he had built, 23 Apr 1829, Ann dau of Capt William Hanson; they had issue : 12 children : Anne Leah, a dau, Susan Charlotte, Thomas Boldero, William Simeon, Finetta Maddy, Sarah Jessup, Catherine Charlotte, Elizabeth Susanna, Jane iv, John Theophilus vii and Elizabeth Magdalen Thorp.
Returning to England before the outbreak of the Indian Mutiny he did not relapse into idleness, but did much public and philanthropic work. He settled in Notting Hill, London, and in 1867 was elected to the Kensington Vestry (the then equivalent of the Borough Council), and became Chmn of the Special Purposes Cttee. In 1858 he was selected to the Cttee of the Soldiers' Daus Home at Hampstead becoming Chmn of it in 1863, an appt which he held for 23 years, taking the greatest possible interest in the children. In 1872 he joined the cttee of the Royal Sch for Offrs Daus, Bath, becoming Chmn in 1880 and continuing there until his death.
In 1860 he enrolled in the 1st Middlesex Rifle Volunteers and served there for five years, attending every possible parade. He was Chmn of the Building Cttee responsible for Kensington Town Hall, completed in 1880, and the Vestry had a marble bust of him placed in the Council Chamber as a mark of honour for his labours in that respect. He also served on the Council of the Royal Society, and audited its accounts, and the same Society nominated him as a Member of the governing body of Christ's Hospital.
He continued all these active occupations until the year of his death, being accustomed to work from 5 or 6 am until 11 pm, but ill-health obliged him to give them up. He died at Notting Hill on 7 Nov 1886. The respect in which he was held was shown at his funeral, which was attended not only by some 20 Generals, besides other officers, and members of the Kensington Vestry, but also by many of humble rank, shop asistants, road sweepers, and the Staff and older pupils of the Soldiers' Daughters Home.
His versatility may well be judged from the above brief account of his various activities, and in addition he invented a rifle, a pattern of which was in the museum of the Royal United Services Institition; he also wrote a number of books, all of a technical nature, including astronomy, land area computation, rents and wages, logarithmics and a code of regulations for the PWD.